Design & Development Engineer Position Overview:
- A candidate experienced in design development of High Voltage ( 2 kV through 60 kV) High Power( 5 kW through 50 kW) of Switched Mode AC – DC power supplies and or power conversion.
- Knowledge of Potting and encapsulation. Working knowledge of high voltage liquid dielectrics, vacuum systems and measurement of vacuum. Familiarity with capacitor charging power supplies, design of high voltage high frequency magnetics, design of high voltage resistors. Working knowledge of creepage requirements with various high voltage solid dielectrics, design of resonant converter topologies for high voltage power supplies. Working knowledge of electronic packaging of high voltage power supplies. And working knowledge of insulation coordination.
- Hands on Experience with Power Electronics circuit Simulation tools Pspice, MATLAB etc.
- Design validation of prototypes and pilots for specification and compliance to UL, IEC other EMC directives to meet set product cost targets.
- Individual contribution in development of specification, design, analysis and packaging efforts of modern precision power High Voltage DC , High Power supplies and Capacitor Chargers.
- Expected contributions include AC – DC – PWM and resonant solid state power topology design, controls design and development for industrial, laboratory and mission critical applications.
- Guide PCB designers, Mechanical Designers and Lab technicians for developing UL, TUV compliant circuits, systems and enclosures prototypes operation in highly electrically noisy environments.
- Evaluate various power modulator and control topologies to achieve optimal cost/ performance tradeoff.
- Select/design and evaluate various power electronic components including inductors, transformers, capacitors, current sense elements and diodes to support power circuit design.
- Conduct worst case analysis to establish that designs will function per specifications over the intended operating range and find/investigate design head rooms and field failure analysis. Conduct analysis and evaluation of system level power and electronics design issues. Stay abreast of the latest power electronics and power component technologies to guide future development efforts. Diligently and very safely work on High Voltage products prototypes, experiments and failures analysis HV power conversion laboratory.
- Work very closely and cooperatively in a cross functional team of Engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, compliance and quality functions during and after new product development.
- Add value to the organization via technologies, new concepts, topologies with methodical adherence to good Engineering design practices and existing ISO procedures. Provide technical mentoring to Lab Technicians and other co-workers. This position will have a supervisory responsibility to supervise two to three persons team of Technicians and other support personnel.
- As needed and assigned by VP of Engineering, participate in R&D activities and act as technical liaison between the company and customers.
- Bachelors or Master in Electrical Engineering with Power Electronics specialization will be plus.
- 5 to 15 years of related experience in the field of solid state power conversion applied to AC to DC SMPS or resonant converter power supplies. (Or equivalent combination of education, training and experience). Experience with High Voltage > 2000 VDC High Power > 5 kW. Familiarity with medical equipment design standards is a plus.
- Ability to:
- Read and write in English, analyze, and interpret, professional journals, technical procedures, or UL, TUV regulations.
- Write reports, technical correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and others as needed.
- Self-motivated individual that works well in a team with a potential to become design team leader in couple of years. Ability to closely work with sales and marketing in presenting solutions in front of customers. A person with bias for focused, collaborative and time bound action to deliver on commitments with sense of urgency.
Reference Number: LCTD116
|Job Category||Power - Battery, Power Management|