GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Directly adds tangible value to the organization by bringing modern power electronics related technologies, new concepts, circuit topologies, magnetic components design, and control schemes. Provides strong technical leadership based on rigorous education/training, product development experience, and good track record. Provide technical mentoring to junior engineer and lab technicians. Strong individual contributions in the new product development, system architecture, circuit analysis, and product packaging related to modern precision SMPS power supplies are expected. Evaluate various power converter topologies to achieve optimal cost/ performance design tradeoff. Select/design and evaluate various power electronic components including controller (analog or digital), power switching devices (MOSFETs, IGBTs, and / or wideband gap devices), inductors, transformers, capacitors, current sense elements diodes, etc. to support power converter design. Conduct worst case analysis to establish that designs will function per specifications over the intended operating range. Ability to guide PCB designers and Mechanical Designer for developing UL compliant circuit boards and enclosures for successful operation in highly noisy environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES & AUTHORITIES:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Evaluate various power circuit topologies to achieve the optimal cost/ performance trade-offer the particular project specifies to beat the competition.
- Design and evaluate various Digital and Power Electronic components for state of the art competitive precision AC DC SMPS. Conduct worst case analysis to prove designs will function per specifications over the intended operating range. Conduct analysis and evaluation of system level power electronics system design issues, including AC mains power quality, system efficiency, very low output ripple etc. Design for compliance to UL, IEC other EMC directives.
- Ability to guide PCB designers and Mech Designer for developing UL circuit boards and enclosures for successful operation in highly noisy environment.
- Ability to provide technical mentoring to Lab Technicians and less experienced people.
- Ability to diligently and very safely work on scientific experiments in power conversion laboratory for power electronics product development.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES & AUTHORITIES:
This job has supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
EXPERIENCE: More than ten years of related experience (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree from four-year College or university/advanced degree or certificate.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Very High Skills: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
REASONING ABILITY: Highest Skills: Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Experience in High Power (1kW to 50kW) converter product development is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with designing, debugging, and testing of power converters; as well as, with applications and/or design of its key components, such as power semiconductor devices (FETs, IGBTs, SiC, and GaN), and magnetic components.
- Hands-on experience with analog circuit design: OPAMPS, low power analog design, analog filter design, analog signal processing, as well as power switch gate drive techniques, EMC, power supply parallel operation.
- Knowledge of multiple physical fields, including electrical, magnetic, thermal, and mechanical.
- Proficient in one or more of the following software/hardware: LtSpice, pSpice, MATLAB/Simulink, Mathcad, and Finete Element Analysis tool.
- Experience in designing circuits using MOSFETS, IGBTs, wide bandgap devices (SiC and GaN) are strongly required.
- Familiar with Safety, EMI, EMC, and IEC 61000-4-xx standards.
The following are physical labor characteristics associated with this job.
- Standing Under 1/3 of day.
- Walking Under 1/3 of day.
- Sitting 1/3 to 2/3’s of day.
- Using hands to handle or feel Under 1/3 of day.
- Reaching with hands and arms Under 1/3 of day.
- Talking or hearing 1/3 to 2/3’s of day.
Amount of time spent lifting:
- Up to 25 lbs. Under 1/3 of day.
- Up to 50 lbs. Under 1/3 of day.
The following are characteristics associated with the environment in which this job is typically performed.
- Moving mechanical parts Under 1/3 of day.
- Risk of electrical shock Under 1/3 of day.
Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic).
|Job Category||Power Management|