Sr. Mechanical Engineer Position Overview:
Company is a provider of DC/DC converters and AC/DC power supplies and solutions, data acquisition converters, digital panel meters and magnetics products, focusing primarily on the computing, communications, industrial and medical markets. Ranked amongst the world’s top 5 suppliers of power electronics, we design and manufacture the industry’s broadest offering of standard products and are a market leading designer of custom solutions.
Well known for the quality of its products and workforce, we can provide you the opportunity to work with talented people and a management team focused on growth and the ongoing development of leading-edge technologies for many of the world’s major OEM’s.
At the Massachusetts Design Center, our Product Development teams provide solutions to our customers through the design and development of AC-DC and DC-DC power conversion products and digital panel meters. In this role, you will:
- Provide technical leadership and expertise developing power supply enclosures utilizing 3-D solid modeling software which meet new and existing design and performance targets and/or eliminate problems.
- Develop thermal engineering solutions using calculated, empirical and simulation methodologies.
- Design of various tooling for casting, extrusion and injection molded items.
- Design of electrical test fixtures for engineering and production applications.
- Design of mechanical package solutions for a variety of power conversion products and digital panel meters applying in-depth knowledge of design constraints and a considerable degree of judgment.
- Application of appropriate worst case and statistical tolerances.
- Generate detail part and assembly drawings and bills of materials.
- Create and maintain component and feature models for use in current and future designs.
- Responsible to ensure the technical integrity of designs.
- Responsible to ensure designs meet cost, performance, and schedule requirements.
- Utilize machine shop equipment and other site resources to rapidly fabricate models and prototypes or rework materials to prove designs concepts.
- Interface with fabrication vendors to source designs, drive quality and schedules, qualify samples, and commission prototype and production tooling to schedule requirements.
- Technical interface for outsourced design work such as shipping packaging.
- Solves assigned technical product, component, or material problems affecting efficient operation and/or manufacture of product designs.
- Provides feedback to customers and other design functions regarding design issues, quality, materials, etc.
- Provides support to other engineering functions throughout the life cycle of product, from design through manufacturing and works with team members to resolve design or production problems.
- Work closely with PCB design, electrical and process engineering to conceptualize and design the entire product electronic packaging for new products.
- Influences others outside of team to ensure goals are met and resolves conflicts in an effective manner.
- Must keep him/herself up to date with innovations and trends in Mechanical Engineering that apply to Power Electronics.
- Distribute tasks to other members in the group, supervise their work, develop their skills and evaluate their performance.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years mechanical design experience with an emphasis on thermal management.
- Experience in design of automotive products is highly desired.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a variety of internal customers and external vendors.
- Software Experience:
- MCAD Solid Modelling (AutoCAD, Solidworks, Pro-E).
- Thermal Simulation (Flotherm, Ansys).
- Ability to effectively communicate with a variety of external customers.
- Ability to manage and communicate several projects simultaneously cope with changing deadlines.
- Solid understanding of cooling methodologies and design of experiments to validate results.
- Ability to evaluate, diagnose, and troubleshoot problems.
- In-depth knowledge of industry design and quality standards.
- In-depth knowledge of manufacturing processes and equipment used for fabrication of custom designed parts and sub-assemblies including inspection techniques and quality standards.
- Ability to apply GD&T principles when appropriate.
- In-depth Knowledge of EMC requirements particularly EMI shielding techniques and principles.
- Working Knowledge of applicable product safety requirements – particularly UL 60950.
- Solid Knowledge of drafting standards such as ANSI/ASME Y14.5M.
- Good Knowledge of material finishes, cosmetic requirements, etc.
- Knowledge of reliability and life expectancy principles.
- Knowledge of related design verification and qualification testing:
- Operating/Non-Operating shock & vibration.
- Packaging qualification – transportation shock & vibe, drop and stack testing.
- Thermal profiling, thermal shock and high humidity environments.
- Acoustic Noise.
- Ingress protection per IEC 60529.
- Demonstrated creative and innovative work is an asset.
Reference number: LCMU104
|Job Category||Electro-Mechanical, Mechanical Engineering, Power - Battery, Power Management|